These are some things that, in my opinion, can bring a smile to anyone’s face. In times of despair, just think of this list and hopefully you will feel lighter by the time you read to the very last point. If you have a friend who’s down-and-out, or a relative that’s going through a tough time, feel free to refer to this page. I will certainly do so when I’m looking for a pick-me-up.
1. When someone holds the door open for you. The idea that there is someone out in this big universe of ours, a random stranger no less, that is concerned about your well being sends the clear message that love still exists in the world. And when there’s love, happiness is bound to follow.
2. Beginnings. No matter what it is that you’re starting, beginnings are always full of possibilities and unknown opportunities. Beginnings are new, unassuming and bursting with an abundance of different options and choices.
3. Hot air balloons. Who doesn’t like seeing those brightly coloured flying thing-a-ma-jiggies in the sky?
4. When you make someone laugh. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a small giggle or a gut-wrenching, pee-your-pants type of laugh, the main thing is that you brought a fraction of happiness to someone’s day. That’s a great accomplishment.
5. Bubbles. It’s as simple as that. There’s something about those big, round soup suds that can bring a smile to anyone’s face. Perhaps they remind you of your childhood, or perhaps they don’t remind you of anything at all. That’s what’s great about them.
6. Pinky toes. They’re tiny, inconspicuous and don’t hold much significance to your daily functioning, but they’re cute and even more adorable on babies. Sometimes it’s nice just to look down and see that they’re still hanging around supporting you, even if you don’t acknowledge their existence on a daily basis. They’re like the friend that sticks by your side even when you’re unbearable to be around.
7. When you read a really good book. This one, I think, is pretty self-explanatory.
8. Babies. While their bodily functions and odd smelling odours are not the most desirable traits, they are just so darn cute and funny. They may not be for everyone, but they are the future. I like to think that there’s some unwavering, morally strong hope in that.
9. Old photographs that bring back good memories. Granted, not everyone is fortunate enough to own a camera or have old pictures laying around, but everyone has taken mental snapshots of happier times in their lives, whether they consciously know it or not. It’s good to go back through them and remember the good times.
10. The opening credits of a movie. There’s something about that roar from the MGM lion, the title of the movie in big, bold letters that can bring chills and giddy excitement to anyone.